There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gluten Free in the Headlines

Recently, you may have heard that Chelsea Clinton, daughter of President and Secretary of State Clinton chose a gluten free cake for her wedding. This news got plenty of attention. Although I am disappointed when reporters refer to gluten free options as a trend; I am optimistic when I read gluten free headlines.

I will not use my blog as a soapbox (much). I will however, repeat again and again the importance of a gluten free diet for those who must eliminate gluten for health purposes. The damage gluten can cause is serious and should not be overlooked or trivialized. I wish all reporters understood that celiac disease and other reasons related to health that people eat gluten free are VALID. It has been reported that Miss Clinton has an allergy to gluten. Never have I heard or read a doctor refer to an allergy to gluten. Diseases, intolerances and allergies are all quite different. All three afflictions are painful in some fashion to those affected by them. I will be doing some research on this subject for clarity. If you reader, have any factual knowledge you would like to share please feel free to do so in the comment section under this post. I am not an expert on any of these disciplines, therefore I will always recommend readers talk these matters over with a trusted medical professional.

I will not be posting or including a link to where I read that simply because Miss Clinton had chosen a gluten free wedding cake that all of a sudden it will be a trend. Perhaps for some it will, but you and I both know the reason to eat gluten free is for good health. Hopping off of my soapbox now!

Gluten Free and You would like to extend our best wishes to the happy couple.

soapbox photo source: http://fearlessblogger.com/

3 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written! I didn't fully read the article on the wedding cake and missed that they characterized gluten free as a trend. I've run into similar frustrations with the description of the increase in peanut allergies. Watching your pre-verbal child go into full anaphylaxis in front of your eyes as the result of a food you gave him is not "trendy". For simple definitions of allergies vs. intolerances, check out http://nut-freemom.blogspot.com/ scroll down and look on the right side. Good luck in your research! (Jen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this information while I was looking up infant reflux...http://infantrefluxdisease.com/infant_acid_reflux/index.php/conditions-related-to-similar-to-reflux-gerd/allergies-and-intolerances/43-infant-allergies-and-intolerances/148-about-food-allergies-intolerance-and-sensitivities

    (Jen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Jen; they are truly appreciated! I am sorry to hear that you have had similar experiences with the "trendy" talk. Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete