There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Greens & Beans

I have been told by trusted doctors that dark leafy greens are very beneficial in one's diet. I am pleased to share what I have now deemed one of my new favorite vegetable side dishes which is so delicious it could be the main dish.  I served it on Christmas and will be serving it regularly in the new year! Delicious and nutritious, what a winning combination!

Greens & Beans
1 fresh bunch of Collard Greens, washed and stems removed
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (15oz. cans) Great Northern Beans
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
water

1. Chop washed Collard Greens into desired size. Nothing fancy, they will be blanched and wilted. Place greens into a pot of salted boiling water for about 2 minutes. Once blanched, drain leaves in a collander and squeeze excess water out with the back of a large spoon. I use my dutch oven for blanching.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pan (I use a 10" frying pan). Add garlic and onion. On low heat, cook for 4 minutes.
3. Add greens, beans and chicken stock. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment