There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Essential Coleslaw, Chopped

I love the seasons!  All four of them.  I welcome summer, because my boys are out of school and it just seems my family spends more time together, whether it be boating on the lake, visiting friends, or heading "down the ocean".   Ahhhh summers in Ocean City, Maryland. Such great memories I have from childhood.

All this reminiscing and I have lost track of the task at hand. Well, over the weekend I was experimenting and it turns out that I prefer chopping my own cabbage as opposed to shredding it in the food processor or buying it in the bag. So the following is an amended recipe to Essential Coleslaw. The dressing stayed the same with one exception, adding a dash of celery seed. This recipe also omits the carrots, but please add them if you desire.


 Essential Coleslaw, Chopped 
1 cup mayonnaise 
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp white horseradish
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 lb. cabbage, chopped
A dash or two of celery seed


Purchase one green cabbage head and one purple cabbage head. Slice each head in half, discard outer layer of leaves and core.  Save halves in airtight containers for other recipes or more coleslaw. Lay head halves flat on cutting board and slice lengthwise into thin strips. Next cut horizontally into smaller bite size pieces.  In a large mixing bowl combine and mix well the first four ingredients.  Add chopped cabbage and a dash or two of celery seed;  mix until blended.  If you have time, allow dish to cool in the refrigerator and serve once chilled. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment