There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Jack Mackerel Cakes
I dedicate this post to my oldest son. If it were not for him I would have never discovered how much I love this dish. He is an avid fisherman and is quite knowledgeable about fish, their habitats, fishing and now recipes. This recipe originally began as Salmon Cakes, but thanks to him is now made even more reasonably priced with the use of Jack Mackerel. I will post a similar salmon recipe at a later time.
Recipe tip: I love McCormick's Salmon Spice, but I will often change what I use either because I cannot get the Salmon Spice or simply because I like to experiment with flavors and spices. I have also used McCormick Garlic and Onion. Today I am using Old Bay Garlic and Herb Seasoning.
Jack Mackerel Cakes
1 15oz. can jack mackerel, drained and spinal column removed
1tsp. McCormick Salmon Spice (see recipe tip for substitution)
1 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/4 cup Hellman's mayonnaise (gluten free is written on the label, yay!)
canola oil for frying
1. Place mackerel in a bowl, break large pieces apart so that it combines well with the other ingredients.
2. Place egg, spice, cornmeal and mayonnaise in the bowl with the mackerel, stir thoroughly to combine.
3. Take a heaping tablespoon of mixture and shape into cakes. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; even overnight. This step is very important so the cakes do not fall apart.
5. Heat enough oil in a pan to fry the cakes. Gently place a few cakes in the pan at a time. Fry until golden brown, turn and fry the opposite side in the same way. Place on a plate with paper toweling. Serve and ENJOY!
I love life and I love food. It is not surprising that as an adult I am writing about food. My favorite childhood books were about gigantic food, "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs", by Judi Barrett and "The Giant Jam Sandwich", by John Vernon Lord and Janet Burroway. Being diagnosed with celiac disease merely channeled what type of food I write about. Come join me on a gluten free adventure, and let's celebrate everything Gluten Free and You!
Click the Cupcake to visit the Gluten Free Goddess
Making Tracks for Celiacs
Red Kettle Awards
Made in the USA
My Goals: Current Content and Safety
I am honored that you took the time to stop by. I will do my best to maintain this blogspot with interesting, current and excited content. Please bare in mind that manufacturers change their ingredients from time to time. For your safety, always verify ingredients as gluten free.
Don't Be Shy
Gluten Free and You welcomes you to comment about posts and become a follower.
~Comment below a post. ~Send an email to email@example.com ~http://www.facebook.com/GlutenFreeandYou
For medical questions and advice seek the care of a medical professional. The content of this website is strictly for information and entertainment purposes. For your safety, always verify ingredients as gluten free.